I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Monday, March 21, 2005

Book Review: "Dragon".........

I have been an avid reader for years now but never saw fit to read anything by Clive Cussler. One day I gave in and picked up a copy of his book "Dragon". I am glad I did and I can now tell you why Cussler has sold so many books over the years. Quite frankly he tells a good story. Then there is always his alter ego the swashbuckling hero Dirk Pitt, think a combination of James Bond and Indiana Jones. The two combine to produce a tremendously fun piece of escapist fiction.

Written in 1990 "Dragon" may seem a bit dated. It was written at the height of America’s fear of being economically dominated by Japan. It in no way detracts from the story whatsoever.

Cussler has a wonderful ability to weave together historical and contemporary elements into one grand tale. In the case of "Dragon", how can a World War II bomber sitting at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean hold the key to saving the free world from a fabulously wealthy Japanese industrialist determined to establish Japan as the world’s preeminent superpower? That is the riddled to be solved by Dirk Pitt and company if they are to save the day.

"Dragon" is full of samurai assassins, killer robots, nuclear brinkmanship, gadgets and heroic acts of daring-do. It is an immensely fun page-turner that I highly recommend.

Buy it here at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671742760/qid=1111790658/sr=1-25/ref=sr_1_25/102-5198871-3051332?v=glance&s=books

No comments: