I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Book Review: "Midshipman's Hope"......

I have read quite a bit of science fiction lately and "Midshipman's Hope" by David Feintuch is among the best by far. It is a swashbuckling tale of the high seas that trades the ocean for the cold vacuum of space. The book is populated by a host of fascinating, well-developed characters.

The book is written in the first person narrated by the by the main character Nicholas Seafort. We first see him as a lowly, insecure midshipman and watch him rise through the ranks. Along the way he must confront more than his share of demons. His character is at times deeply sympathetic and at other times loathsome. However, he is never boring and always compelling.

Another distinguishing aspect of the book is in his depiction of the brutal 18th century style discipline that is employed in Feintuch's universe. It is at oft times quite disturbing. Fans of the movie "Starship Troopers" will certainly recognize the similarities.

Perhaps the finest aspect of this novel is that it tells a complete self-contained story even though it is but the first of many in the "Seafort Saga". This is not to say that it does not leave you wanting more which it certainly does.

"Midshipman's Hope" is one of the best works in the genre of military sci-fi.

Buy it here at Barnes and Noble:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=aF8Gi3WAQe&isbn=0446600962&itm=1

No comments: