I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Monday, March 28, 2005

Opinion: "Don't Complain About the Price of Gas, IF"...

Gas prices are going up and up. A gallon of gas now costs at least $2.00, if not more; I believe I paid $2.20 the other day. The situation will likely only get worse and never better. No one, including myself, likes it but let’s keep matters in perspective. To hear people talk you would think a five-cent a gallon increase is the end of the world. That got me thinking…

Everywhere you go you see people carrying around bottles of water, even I do it, too. The average 20 once bottle of water costs around $1.00 (sometimes much, much more). Given that there are 128 ounces in a gallon that makes bottled water $6.40 per gallon. Tap water, on the other hand, is free. If you are willing to pay $6.40 per gallon for bottled water then don’t complain about the price of gas.

I love Starbucks coffee. Based on the lines at my local store I assume many other do as well. A 20 once espressos drink can cost $3.00 or more. Given that there are 128 ounces in a gallon that makes coffee, at least, $19.20 per gallon. On the other hand, you can make it at home for pennies. If you are willing to pay $19.20 per gallon for coffee then don’t complain about the price of gas.

Millions of people drive Sports Utility Vehicles. Some in this country decry their choices. I really couldn’t care less. SUV’ s have very large gas tanks, 30 gallons or more in some cases. They also don’t get very good gas mileage, most get well under 20 miles per gallon. That means they need to fill up more often and it could cost them $60.00 or more to fill their tanks. On the other hand, there are many other cars on the market that are much more fuel efficient and cheaper to fill up. If you are willing to drive a gas-guzzling automobile then don’t complain about the price of gas.

Like everything else is life, gas is taxable. In New Jersey we have a relatively low gas tax 14.5 cents per gallon but other states are as high as .25 cents per gallon. Does anyone ever complain about the gas tax? If you are willing to put up with government taxation of gasoline then don’t complain about the price of gas.

I am sick and tired of government treating its citizens like ATM machines. From what I can tell not enough of you are as fed up as I am. Some of you even like paying taxes and will sit back and say nothing everytime a government comes along and takes more of your money. Yet let gas prices go up a nickel and you are outraged. If you are willing to stand-by quietly while government picks your pocket then don’t complain about the price of gas.

That’s all.

No comments: