I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

OpEd Reply: "Truth in Recruiting"......

I expect raging stupidity from the New York Times OpEd page and Bob Herbert’s August 22 column entitled “Truth in Recruiting” did not disappoint.

In it he makes the fantastical claim that those men and women volunteering to join out military today are doing so under false pretenses. That they do not realize that membership in the armed forces may include combat.

Forget for a moment that military service is one of the most ancient of pursuits and that we have been a nation at war for nearly four years. As Mr. Herbert correctly points out that the central purpose of our military is “to fight and kill the enemies of the United States”. If Mr. Herbert understands this most basic principle why does he not credit the members of our military with the same common sense and grasp of the obvious. In not doing so he is, in a sense, saying that those who volunteer to join are moronic, simpletons duped into serving their country. This an outrage! It is not only an insult to the intelligence of his readers but to every man and women who wears the uniform of the United States armed forces.

Not only is this ragingly stupid it is also despicable.

No comments: