I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Sports: "Leave the Jets Alone!"




The NFL draft is over, now comes the inevitable aftermath. Near unrelenting media criticism of the way the Jets handled the draft. Possessing the 4th and 29th picks in the first round the Jets did not trade up to pick USC running back Reggie Bush and left potential "franchise" QB’s on the board and instead choose Left Tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson with their first pick.

The reaction by the press was all too predictable. They howled at the Jets for their lack of guts in not making more of an effort to trade up and laughed at their lack of vision in passing up a marquee player.

From my vantage point I think the Jets did just fine in the draft and the new regime should ignore their critics.

First, let’s discuss the case of Reggie Bush. In order to trade up to number 2 the Jets would have had to all but mortgage their future by surrendering draft picks in this and future drafts. A team with as many weaknesses as the Jets cannot afford such a draft strategy. Second, I question Bush’s commitment to his craft. I read a quote from him where he said he would have like to play in New York for the "marketing possibilities"! "Marketing possibilities" are you kidding me? Are you here to play football or sell Diet Coke? Give me a break!

Let me now turn my attention to Matt Leinart. He might turn out to be a great QB. However, his arm strength is questionable (the Jets already have a QB with questionable arm strength) and I again question his commitment to his craft with all of his extracurricular distractions. Additionally, having slipped down to 10th overall means that eight other teams besides the Jets had similar reservations.

As today’s Star Ledger quite accurately points out even had they drafted either Bush or a "can’t miss", "franchise" QB who would block for them? The Jets offensive line is a shambles.
No. The Jets made a wise decision. By getting help on the line with Ferguson and a Center in Nick Mangold they are establishing a core for the future. In addition, this will not be an overnight rebuilding process. The 2006 Jets do not promise to be very good and another good draft choice will likely be theirs this time next year.

Just as an aside, are sports writers some of the dumbest people on the planet or is it just me? Two things stand out. First is a prediction that Reggie Bush will make it into the Hall of Fame. HUH? Can we at least wait until he plays his first set of downs in the NFL before reserving room in Canton? Second, is another member of Mensa asking whether Bill Belichek is running the Jets draft room by remote? Well if Tannenbaum and Mangini are influenced by Belichek I would consider a GOOD THING! Like him or not (and I don’t) he is only the best coach in football and winner of three of the last four Super Bowls! Who SHOULD be their influence? Jim Mora? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

No comments: