I have many varied interests. I am also very opinionated AND I like to write. I may write about anything. Anything that interests me or anything that bothers me. I might write about the world of politics, I might write about books, or movies, or TV shows, or cigars or whatever interests me. Who knows a random thought or two might even show up. ENJOY!

Friday, September 24, 2004

Book Review: "Goliath"......

Take one part Tom Clancy, one part Michael Crichton, add a pinch of Ian Flemming and sprinkle liberally with Arthur C. Clarke's "2001 A Space Odyssey" and you have Steve Alten's "Goliath". It's a boffo, sci-fi, action, techno-thriller destined for the big screen. Alten effectively mixes science, with breath taking action, with a good deal of philosophy. This is book that will make you think.

At the center of "Goliath" is the character Simon Covah; a villain in the best James Bond tradition. Yet unlike the usual amoral Bond villain Covah has an almost overdeveloped sense of morality. Covah is a brilliant ex-Soviet scientist who sets out to reform humanity through force. His engine for change is the Declaration of Humanity. The means through which he will enforce his will is the US designed, massive, nearly invincible, stealth super sub the Goliath. At the heart of the Goliath is the super sophisticated bio-chemical computer call Sorceress (think HAL from "2001 A Space Odyssey").

Standing between Covah and his plans for humanity are three things: former US Army Ranger and convicted traitor Gunnar Wolfe, the beautiful ex-fiancé of Gunnar Wolfe Navy Commander Rochelle "Rocky" Jackson and Sorceress itself.

The editing in "Goliath" is a bit sloppy. I detected a couple of misspellings and there is some confusion regarding Jackson's military service (in one instance they talk about her becoming a general, which is not a rank in the Navy, and in another she talks about always wanting to be in the Army, she's a naval officer).

These minor things aside "Goliath" is a first rate read. It provides a thought-provoking premise with edge of your seat action. I highly recommend it and look forward to the promised sequel entitled "Sorceress".

No comments: